Skip to main content

Aging & Elders

Find more resources at Vermont 2-1-1

  • Search for services at
  • Call 2-1-1 24 hours/7 days a week
  • Text your zip code to 898211 - Mon. - Fri. 8:00am to 10:00pm
  • Email - Mon. - Fri. 8:00am to 10:00pm

A program of United Ways of Vermont, 2-1-1 is a free confidential statewide information and referral service operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with language translation available. 2-1-1 offers a comprehensive searchable database of services and trained information and referral specialists offer personalized assistance by telephone any time, and respond to texts and emails Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.

Got questions about your legal rights? The Vermont Commission on Women's handbook, The Legal Rights of Women in Vermont might provide answers. Chapters include: Adoption, Guardianship and Emancipated Minors; Consumer Protection and Fair Credit; Domestic Relations; Education; Employment Rights; Housing and Property Rights; Immigration; Insurance; Name Changes; Public Accommodations; Public Assistance and Government Benefits; Reproductive Rights; Violence Against Women and Children; and Wills, Probate Court, and Advanced Directives.

Read Vermont Commission on Women's publications on this and other topics


Vermont Resources

Veteran's Resources

Vermont Resources

Vermont's Statewide Senior HelpLine: 800-642-5119 (voice / TDD)

Vermont's Long-Term Care Ombudsman: 800-889-2047

Area Agency on Aging

Local Area Agencies on Aging offer information and referral on issues relating to aging. They provide help with personal care services, assisted living, case management, home health care, and medication assistance. There are 5 agencies in Vermont:

Age Well
(Main) Colchester Office
875 Roosevelt Hwy, Ste 210
Colchester, VT 05446
(802) 865-0360 / 1-800-642-5119

Middlebury Office
39 Court St
Middlebury, VT 05753

St. Albans Office
228 North Main St
St. Albans, VT 05478

Council on Aging for Southeastern Vermont
56 Main Street, Suite 202
Springfield, VT 05156
(802) 885-2655

Central Vermont Council on Aging
59 N. Main Street, Suite 200
Barre VT 05641-4121
(802) 479-0531

Northeast Kingdom Council on Aging

St. Johnsbury Office
481 Summer Street, Suite 101
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
(802) 748-5182 (appointments recommended)

Newport Office
Derby Time Square
5452 US Route 5, Suite A
Newport, VT 05855
(802) 334-2190 (by appointment only)

Hardwick Office
Hardwick Health Center
4 Slapp Hill Road
Hardwick, VT 05843
(800) 642-5119 (by appointment only)

Island Pond Office
82 Maple Street
Island Pond, VT 05846
(800) 642-5119 (by appointment only)

Southwestern Vermont Council on Aging

Rutland Office
143 Maple Street
Rutland, VT 05701
(802) 786-5990

Bennington Office
160 Benmont Avenue, Suite 90
Bennington, VT 05201
(802) 442-5436

AARP (formerly the American Association of Retired Persons) Vermont

The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) provides information and programs to protect the rights of retired people and enhance their quality of life.

Adult Day Centers

Adult Day Centers provide services for older adults and adults with disabilities. These facilities help these populations stay as independent as possible in their own homes. Adult day services provide daytime programs including entertainment, activities, social interaction, nutritious meals, health screening and monitoring, personal care, and transportation. Respite for family caregivers is also available.

Adult Protective Services (APS)

Call 1-800-564-1612 or 802 871-3317 to report abuse, neglect or exploitation of a vulnerable adult

Adult Protective Services (APS) is a public safety program within the Division of Licensing and Protection (DLP) of the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living. APS is tasked with receiving and investigating allegations of abuse, neglect and exploitation of vulnerable elderly and disabled adults in Vermont. Investigations are conducted to determine the validity of allegations and when warranted, include the coordination of protective services to address critical safety concerns. The APS Program maintains a registry of substantiated perpetrators of abuse and performs checks of that registry for employers that provide care and services to vulnerable adults. APS is also involved in community education programs to raise public awareness of abuse issues, stimulate prevention efforts, and educate personal care staff members about their mandatory reporting responsibilities.

Residential Options

Nursing facilities, residential care and assisted living facilities, HomeShare program options, and adult family care combine housing, health and supportive services to support resident independence.

Assistive Technology Program

The Vermont Assistive Technology Program serves Vermonters of all ages and abilities. VATP provides information and referrals, training for service providers and others, equipment and software demonstrations, tryouts, and technical assistance. Other activities include public awareness, an equipment exchange program, and short-term lending of assistive technology equipment.

Benefits Counseling Program (VR)

This program assists Vermonters who are receiving Social Security Benefits (SSI or SSDI). If you are interested in returning to work but you are concerned about what will happen to your benefits and health care if you do work, VR Benefits Counselors can help. In most cases, people on Social Security Disability benefits are financially better off if they work – as long as they understand the work incentives.

Choices for Care (CFC)

Choice for Care is a long-term care services program providing care and support to Vermonters at least 18 years old who require nursing home level of care. CFC helps those who are eligible receive their services in a home setting or in an authorized care facility.

Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Deafblind Services

This service is tasked with coordinating services and supports provided across state government to Vermonters who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Deafblind. It provides a single point of entry for information, resources, and links to available services across the state.

Dementia Respite and Family Care Services

The Dementia Respite Grant and family caregiver support services offer caregiver support for in-home care, respite care, homemaker services, and more.

Developmental Disabilities Services

There are 15 private non-profit developmental disabilities services providers in Vermont, contracted by DAIL, who offer a variety of services to people with developmental disabilities.  Supports include service coordination/case management, home supports, employment services, community supports, family and respite supports, clinical intervention and crisis services.

Green Mountain Passport Program

The Green Mountain Passport program provides reduced day-rate passes to Vermont State Parks for Vermonters at least 62 years and to Vermont veterans. Applications can be found at your local City or Town Clerk's Office.

Home Health Agencies and Hospice Providers

Home Health Agencies provide health services in the home. Services include: nursing; personal care; physical therapy; homemaker services; hospice care, and social work services.


Vermont is served by seventeen different hospitals across the state.

Office of Public Guardian (OPG)

The OPG, acting under court authority, provides public guardianship to adults with developmental disabilities and Vermonters 60 and older with mental disabilities, where there is not a friend or family member to serve as guardian, and the individual needs a public guardian to protect his or her rights or welfare.

State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
(800) 889-2047

The Vermont Ombudsman Project (VOP) protects the health, welfare and rights of people who live in long term care facilities, including nursing homes, residential care homes and assisted living residences. It also helps people who receive long term care services in their homes through Choices for Care (CFC).The project improves Vermont’s long term care system through individual complaint resolution, education and administrative and legislative advocacy.


Access to transportation services that are flexible and responsive to the varied needs of older adults and people with disabilities is critical to the success of many programs available in Vermont. The Divisions of the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living (DAIL) works closely with state and local agencies to ensure individuals have access to transportation services to maintain independence and promote access to services and resources.

Vermont Public Transportation Association

VT Agency of Transportation (VAOT)

Community of Vermont Elders (COVE)

P.O. Box 1276
73 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05602-2944
(802) 229-4731

COVE is a group of organizations, individual senior citizens, and young people who believe that Vermont Elders deserve to live healthy, satisfying lives, and make their own choices about aging successfully. Since 1981, COVE’s team of volunteers, policy specialists and staff have worked to improve Vermont’s elder policy and programs.

HomeShare Vermont

Main Office
412 Farrel Street
South Burlington, VT 05403
(802) 863-5625

HomeShare Vermont helps elders and people with disabilities to remain at home by bringing them together with people seeking housing and/or caregiving opportunities. Applicants and participants are all carefully screened to ensure that the process is safe and that housemates are best-suited to one another.

Social Security Administration (Vermont Offices)

800-772-1213 (statewide)
800-325-0778 (TDD / statewide)

The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides information, answers questions, and informs elder Americans about their social security rights and benefits.

Burlington Office
58 Pearl Street
Burlington, VT 05401
(877) 840-5776 / (800) 325-0778 (TTY)

Montpelier Office
33 School Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
(877) 505-4542 / (802)-223-0586 (TTY)

Rutland Office
330 Asa Bloomer Office Building
Rutland, VT 05701
(866) 690-1944 / (802) 773-3202 (TTY)

Vermont Associates for Training and Development

Helps with self-assessments, skills training, placement, and job searches for income-eligible mature workers.

Office locations in Vermont

Home Office - St. Albans
3 Champlain Commons, Suite 2
St. Albans, VT 05478
(802) 524-3200 / (800) 439-3307

Bennington Office
VDOL Office
Veteran’s Memorial Drive, Suite 2
Bennington, VT 05201
(802) 447-2877

Brattleboro Office
28 Vernon Street, Suite 431
Brattleboro, VT 05301
(802) 254-9398

Burlington Office
VDOL Office
63 Pearl Street
Burlington, VT 05401-4331
(802) 651-1687

Montpelier Office
27 Main Street, Suite #5
Montpelier, VT 05602
(802) 828-0036

Rutland Office
VDOL Office
200 Asa Bloomer Building
Rutland, VT 05701
(802) 282-4423

St. Johnsbury Office
459 Portland Street, Suite 104
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
(802) 748-8635

Swanton Office
Abenaki Self Help Associates, Inc.
100 Grand Avenue
Swanton, VT 05488

Vermont Center for Independent Living

11 East State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
(800) 639-1522

Provides peer advocacy counseling which includes one-on-one support. By working with peer counselors, individuals with disabilities learn how to do their own problem solving and enhance their ability to advocate themselves. Through the Center, programs and resources such as Meals on Wheels, The Ed Roberts Library, and the Home Access Program are available by contacting any office for information. VCIL is a New England ADA Center State Affiliate. Call (800) 949-4232 of go to with questions about the Americans with Disabilities Act

Montpelier Central Office
11 East State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
(802) 229-0501 / (800) 639-1522 / (800) 639-1522 (TTY)

Bennington Office
P.O. Box 82
601 Main Street
Bennington, Vermont 05201
(802) 447-0574 (voice / TTY) / (802) 681-0099 (Videophone)

Brattleboro Office
28 Vernon St., Suite 412
Brattleboro, VT 05301
802-254-6851 (voice / TTY) / 866-552-8792 (Videophone)

Burlington Office
7 Kilburn St, Suite 312
Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 861-2896 (voice) / (802) 881-0138 (Videophone)

Bakersfield Office
PO Box 219
Bakersfield, VT 05441
(802) 888-2180
Please call for an appointment.

Rutland Office
60 Center Street, Suite 1
Rutland, VT 05701-4452
(802) 779-9021

Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living

Agency of Human Services
280 State Drive, HC 2 South
Waterbury, VT 05671-2020
(802) 241-2401

The Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living helps older persons and disabled adults live independently, find meaningful employment, receive quality health care services, and live free from abuse and neglect.  The agency also provides updates for local events and opportunities for older persons/adults with disabilities to take advantage of, such as clubs, community programs, etc.

Vermont Kin as Parents

33 Blair Park Rd 100B
Williston, Vermont 05495

Vermont Kin as Parents offers information about resources available to kinship families and makes referrals to agencies as needed, helps families navigate the different systems in which they may be involved, and is in the process of developing a respite program so that caregivers can have break from parenting, and collaborates with state and private agencies to provide the best services to older persons in Vermont. The organization also hosts events, such as an annual kinship conference for caregivers and those who work with them and an annual picnic for kinship caregivers and the children they are raising.  Through national and state connections, the organization is aware of changing legislation impacting kinship families, offers the kin perspective whenever possible, and informs caregivers of the changes.

Technology for Tomorrow

476 Shunpike Road
Williston, Vermont 05495
(802) 448-0595

Technology for Tomorrow is a nonprofit out of Williston that connects high schoolers with communities across Vermont to provide free technology workshops.  Their goal is to bring communities together through technology  by teaching individuals how to engage and participate more effectively with the community around them with the use of technology.  These workshops rely on small group learning and one-on-one teaching lead by high school students.   They host workshops on topics ranging from internet safety and smartphones, to word processing and email.  If you are interested in attending a workshop please visit  Technology for Tomorrow’s  calendar of events at They rely on high school student volunteers to provide one-on-one tutoring at workshops. They work with young women who are passionate about making an impact in someone’s life through education and technology training.  If you are a student interested in starting a chapter at a high school please link to the site, and contact the Program Manager.

Veteran's Resources

The Center for Women Veterans

The Center for Women Veterans serves as an advocate for a cultural transformation (both within VA and in the general public) in recognizing the service and contributions of women Veterans and women in the military, and in raising awareness of the responsibility to treat women Veterans with dignity and respect.  The organization provides resources for women veterans to take advantage of in terms of economic opportunities, health care, business, etc.

Women Veterans Health Care

855) 829-6636

The Women Veterans Health Care program is designed to cater to the medical and health-based needs of women veterans, providing comprehensive and accessible health care services to raise the standards for all women. The program is available at VA providers across the country, which can be located using the map on the website, and any concerns can be addressed by contacting the Women Veterans Call Center (WVCC) using the number listed above.

Women Veterans Health Program

Veterans Administration Medical Center
163 Veterans Drive
White River Junction, Vermont 05009
(802) 291-6230 / (866) 687-8387 x5743

The Women Veterans Health Program at White River Junction provides services including gynecology, mental health (including issues surrounding post-traumatic stress disorder, military sexual trauma, depression, drug and alcohol dependence), medical social work, nutrition, pharmacy, osteoporosis evaluation through DEXA scans, mammography and maternity care. Every clinic has a Women’s Program Liaison supporting the coordination and delivery of quality healthcare for all women Veterans. Veterans Administration has community-based outpatient clinics in Bennington, Brattleboro, Burlington, Keene NH, Littleton NH, Newport, and Rutland.

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed by authors and members of the organizations listed are not necessarily those of VCW. The presence of any individual or organization on this list should not be considered an endorsement by VCW.