Disability & Accessibility





Got questions about your legal rights? The Vermont Commission on Women's handbook, The Legal Rights of Women in Vermont might provide answers. Chapters include: Adoption, Guardianship and Emancipated Minors; Consumer Protection and Fair Credit; Domestic Relations; Education; Employment Rights; Housing and Property Rights; Immigration; Insurance; Name Changes; Public Accommodations; Public Assistance and Government Benefits; Reproductive Rights; Violence Against Women and Children; and Wills, Probate Court, and Advanced Directives.


Adult Protective Services (APS)

(800) 564-1612 / (802) 241-3918 to report abuse, neglect or exploitation of a vulnerable adult

Adult Protective Services (APS) is a public safety program within the Division of Licensing and Protection (DLP) of the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living. APS is tasked with receiving and investigating allegations of abuse, neglect and exploitation of vulnerable elderly and disabled adults in Vermont. Investigations are conducted to determine the validity of allegations and when warranted, include the coordination of protective services to address critical safety concerns. The APS Program maintains a registry of substantiated perpetrators of abuse and performs checks of that registry for employers that provide care and services to vulnerable adults. APS is also involved in community education programs to raise public awareness of abuse issues, stimulate prevention efforts, and educate personal care staff members about their mandatory reporting responsibilities.

Vermont Family Network

600 Blair Park Rd, Ste 240
Williston, VT 05495

Vermont Family Network (VFN), promotes better health, education, and well-being for children and families, with a focus on children and young adults with special needs. Vermont Family Network began in July, 2008, when Vermont Parent Information Center (VPIC) and Parent to Parent of Vermont (PPV) merged. Since the merger, VFN has continued to offer the same support, services, and referrals to children and families that were once offered by VPIC and Parent to Parent. Service areas for VFN include: assistive technology, developmental disabilities, early childhood development, health, mental health, parent involvement in school and special education.

Vermont Center for Independent Living

11 East State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
(800) 639-1522

Provides peer advocacy counseling which includes one-on-one support. By working with peer counselors, individuals with disabilities learn how to do their own problem solving and enhance their ability to advocate themselves. Through the Center, programs and resources such as Meals on Wheels, The Ed Roberts Library, and the Home Access Program are available by contacting any office for information.

VCIL is a New England ADA Center State Affiliate. Call (800) 949-4232 of go to newenglandada.org/ with questions about the Americans with Disabilities Act

11 East State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
(802) 229-0501 / (800) 639-1522 / (800) 639-1522 (TTY)

P.O. Box 82
601 Main Street
Bennington, Vermont 05201
(802) 447-0574 (voice / TTY) / (802) 681-0099 (Videophone)

28 Vernon St., Suite 412
Brattleboro, VT 05301
802-254-6851 (voice / TTY) / 866-552-8792 (Videophone)

7 Kilburn St, Suite 312
Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 861-2896 (voice) / (802) 881-0138 (Videophone)

85 Portland St.
Morrisville, VT 05661
(802) 888-2180
Please call for an appointment.

55 Seymour Lane, Suite 29
Newport, VT 05855
(802) 334-9000

60 Center Street, Suite 1
Rutland, VT 05701-4452
(802) 779-9021

145 Pine Haven Shores Road, Suite 1137A
Shelburne, VT 05482
Sue Williams Freedom Fund: (802) 985-9880
(voice / TTY) PAC Program: (802) 985-9863
(866) 970-3107: Videophone

Disability Law Project of Vermont Legal Aid

Disability Law Project represents Vermonters with physical and developmental disabilities where their legal problem arises from their disability. Cases include guardianship, special education, discrimination in employment and housing, access to health care, and Social Security Disability-related benefits problems.

The Vermont Assistive Technology Project of the Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living

280 State Drive, NOB 1 North
Waterbury, Vermont 05671
(802) 871-3065 / (802) 241-3557 (TTY)

VATP is committed to enabling Vermonters with disabilities to be independent, productive and confident. We assist Vermonters with clear, direct avenues toward integration and inclusion in school, the workforce and the community. As an agent of change and advocacy, we seek to keep the benefits of assistive devices and technologies foremost in the minds of consumers, policy makers, and service providers. Our vision is that all individuals with disabilities receive the assistive technology they need and want, within a dependable, consistent system of service delivery that is consumer driven and consumer responsive.

Multiple Sclerosis Society, Vermont Office

75 Talcott Road, Suite 40
Williston, VT 05495
(800) 344-4867

The mission of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society is to end the devastating effects of multiple sclerosis. Providing accurate, up-to-date information to individuals with MS, their families, and healthcare providers is central to our mission.

Vermont Division for the Blind and Visually Impaired

280 State Drive, HC 2 South
Waterbury, VT 05671
(888) 405-5005 / (802) 241-0328 (Voice)

DBVI's mission is to assist Vermonters who are blind and/or and visually impaired to achieve or maintain their fullest possible economic independence, self-reliance, and social integration. A wide range of services is offered to accommodate individual needs.

Barre/Montpelier Regional Office
100 State Street, Suite 200
Montpelier, VT 05602
(802) 828-2762 / (800) 708-7681

Burlington and North Regional Office
110 Cherry Street, Suite 2-1
Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 863-7530 / (800) 708-7703

Rutland Regional Office
190 Asa Bloomer Building
Rutland, VT 05701-9408
(802) 786-5822 / (800) 708-7712

Springfield Regional Office
100 Mineral Street, Suite 301
Springfield, VT 05156-2306
(802) 289-0334 / (800) 356-1526

Vermont Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired


The Vermont Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (VABVI) is a non-profit organization and the only private agency to offer free training, services and support to visually impaired Vermonters. There are four offices located in the state:

South Burlington
60 Kimball Avenue
South Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 863-1358 / (800) 639-5861

13 Overlook Drive, Suite 1
Berlin, VT 05641
(802) 505-4006 / (877) 350-8838

130 Austine Drive, Suite 280
Brattleboro, VT 05301
(802) 254-8761 / (877) 350-8840

80 West Street, Suite 202
Rutland, VT 05701
(877) 350-8839

Disability Rights Vermont

141 Main Street, Suite 7
Montpelier, VT 05602
(802) 229-1355 / (800) 834-7890 (Disability Rights Hotline)

Rutland office
1 Scale Ave, Suite 23
Howe Center, Building 14
Rutland VT, 05701
(802) 773-3944

Disability Rights Vermont is a statewide agency dedicated to advancing the rights of people with disabilities and mental health issues. They are separate and independent from all state agencies, hospitals, and community mental health centers. They work towards a system that honors the dignity and needs of all people with disabilities. They support human and civil rights by investigating complaints of abuse and neglect (physical or sexual assault, verbal & physical abuse, restraint and seclusion, forced treatment, and harassment); and complaints of violations of individual rights (the right to refuse treatment, right to privacy, access to medical records, confidentiality, etc.). They offer: Information, support, referrals to other agencies and services, assistance preparing a durable power of attorney for health care (legal document stating treatment wishes in case an individual becomes unable to make health care decisions), advocacy and legal representation.

Vermont Coalition for Disability Rights

11 East State St., Suite #2
Montpelier, Vermont 05602
(800) 639-1522

The Vermont Coalition for Disability Rights (VCDR) is a cross-disability advocacy organization that seeks to increase awareness of disability issues and effect systemic change through legislative and administrative processes. VCDR staff work closely with member organizations to empower people with disabilities, thus enabling them to directly participate in legislative decisions which will expand their civil rights.

Developmental Disabilities Council

322 Industrial Lane
Berlin, Vermont 05633-0206
(802) 828-1310 or (888) 317-2006

The mission of VTDDC is to facilitate connections and to promote supports that bring people with developmental disabilities into the heart of Vermont Communities.

Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living
Division of Disability and Aging Services

280 State Drive, HC 2 South
Waterbury VT 05671-2030
(802) 241-0304

The Division of Disability and Aging Services (DDAS) is responsible for all community-based long-term care services for older Vermonters, individuals with developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injuries and physical disabilities. The Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living is the center of the Agency of Human Services' program management and policy development with respect to older persons and persons with disabilities. The Department works to assure quality of care and life to individuals receiving health care and/or long term care services from licensed or certified health care providers and protect elderly and disabled adults from abuse, neglect and exploitation

Vermont Statewide Independent Living Council

P.O. Box 9374
South Burlington, VT 05407
(802) 233-4908

The Vermont Statewide Independent Living Council exists to advance the equality of which people with disabilities enjoy, participate in and contribute to the lives of their communities, families and friends.

Vermont Developmental Disabilities Council

103 South Main Street
One North, Suite 117
Waterbury, Vermont 05671-1601
(802) 241-2648 / (802) 241-2612 (TTY)

The Vermont Developmental Disabilities Council is a state-wide board that works to increase public awareness about critical issues affecting people with developmental disabilities and their families.

Deaf Vermonters Advocacy Services (DVAS)

PO Box 61
South Barre, Vermont 05670
(802) 479-1934 (voice / TTY)
(800) 303-3827 (TTY)

Deaf Vermonters Advocacy Services provides support and information to signing and non-signing Deaf, Late-deafened, Hardof-Hearing and DeafBlind individuals in addition to outreaching and educating the public how to better serve and work with Deaf, Hard-of-Hearing, and DeafBlind people.

Vancro Integrated Interpreting Services (American Sign Language)


Vancro Integrated Interpreting Services provide state-wide interpreting referral services for American Sign Language (ASL) / English assignments in settings such as governmental, mental health, medical, legal, employment, educational, civil, and recreational. They serve all Vermonters (Deaf, Hard of Hearing, DeafBlind, and hearing) in need of securing a sign language interpreter and enhance communication access.  


Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities


A permanent, statewide committee created in statute in 1963. Promotes equal employement for all citizens of Vermont by advising the Governor on current issues affecting employment of people with disabilities, and through promoting partnerships among business, Government, and people with disabilties.  Provides presentations to business and organizations; produces an e-newsletter, presents the Vermont Spirit of ADA awards.


Green Mountain Self- Advocates

2 Prospect Street, Suite 6
Montpelier, Vermont 05602
802-229-2600 / 1-800-564-9990

Green Mountain Self-Advocates (GMSA) is a statewide self-advocacy network run and operated by people with developmental disabilities. The GMSA board includes representatives from 17 local self-advocacy groups. The groups come together to listen to each other, make new friends, learn about people's rights and tell politicians and others why people with disabilities are important. Green Mountain Self-Advocates is building a movement for self-advocacy through public education and awareness, peer mentoring, support, advocacy and direct action.

The purpose of Green Mountain Self-Advocates is for people with developmental disabilities to take control over their own lives, make decisions, solve problems and speak for themselves. We educate and make the public aware of the strengths, rights, wants and needs of people with developmental disabilities.

VT-ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience) Savings Plan


VT-ABLE is a federally tax-deferred plan allowing eligible Vermonters to save for disability related expenses like housing, transportation, employment training, and other important needs. Balances and distributions do not affect needs-based financial aid such as Medicaid or SSI.  Earnings on savings are tax-deferred and tax-free when used to pay for qualified expenses.  VT-ABLE participants will be able contribute up to $14,000 annually.  This program is a way parents and other relatives can put aside money for the future of a family member with a disability. It also allows working adults with disabilities to keep what they earn without frequent adjustments to benefits like Social Security, which has a $2000 asset limit. Savings remains in the name of the person with the disability.

Adaptive Driving Associates

220 Holiday Drive, Suite 24
White River Junction, VT 05001
802 296-2004

Provides driver training or re-training to adaptive driving candidates; adaptive equipment is provided as necessary.

Brain Injury Association of Vermont

92 South Main Street
Waterbury, VT 05671
(877) 856-1772 Helpline
(802) 244-6850

Provides information about brain injury, referrals to professionals, assistance in accessing resources, individual and family advocacy, brain injury prevention information and education, and employment-focused case management.

HomeShare Vermont

412 Farrel Street
South Burlington, Vermont 05403
(802) 863-5625

HomeShare Vermont provides matching services for home sharing and care giving. They assist elders and persons with disabilities to live independently in their own homes by bringing them together with persons who seek affordable housing and/or care giving opportunities. HomeShare Vermont provides a comprehensive screening and matching service and our services are available to anyone in Chittenden and Grand Isle Counties in Vermont.

Home Share Now

105 North Main Street, Suite 103
Barre, Vermont 05641
(802) 479-8544

Home Share Now provides matching services for home sharing and care giving. They assist elders and persons with disabilities to live independently in their own homes by bringing them together with persons who seek affordable housing and/or care giving opportunities. Home Share Now provides a comprehensive screening and matching service and our services are available to anyone in Orange, Washington, Windsor, Orleans, and Caledonia counties in Vermont.

Project Independence of Elderly Services, Inc.

P.O. Box 581
Exchange Street
Middlebury, Vermont 05753
(802) 388-3983

Offers adults day services including therapeutic, recreational, social, and cultural activities. Also provides counseling to care givers of participants. Services are available to adults who need restorative or rehabilitative services and adults who are isolated and have difficulty staying alone during the day.

Easter Seals Vermont

641 Comstock Road, Suite 1
Berlin, VT 05602
(802) 223-4744

Easterseals serves children and adults with disabilities and their families, offering a wide range of services helping our clients build the skills and access the resources they need to live, learn, work and play.  Programs offered with Child and Family Services include family time coaching, family support, family group conferences, screening, transportation services, safe babies court, family treatment court, and case reviews.

Partners in Adventure; Celebrating All Abilities

(802) 425-2638

Partners In Adventure provides camps and year-round social and recreation programs partnering disabled teens with non-disabled peers in northern Vermont. We offer individuals opportunities to be included as participants in their communities, to enjoy enriching experiences adapted to their specific needs and to learn about tolerance and diversity.

Vermont Adaptice Ski & Sports

PO Box 139
Killington, VT 05751
(802) 786-4991

Vermont Adaptive Ski & Sports is a nationally recognized organization that empowers people of all ages and all abilities through inclusive sports and recreational programming regardless of ability to pay. In addition to sports, year-round programming options integrate environmental, holistic wellness, and competitive training philosophies for people of all ages with cognitive, developmental, physical and emotional disabilities.  They serve clients of all abilities with physical, cognitive and emotional/behavioral disabilities from all over the world in three locations in Vermont during the winter – Killington Resort and Pico Mountain in Killington; Sugarbush Resort in Warren; and Bolton Valley Ski Area in Bolton. Summer programs are provided state-wide. Many of our programs include environmental education, wellness, and special programs designed specifically for veterans.

The Howard Center

208 Flynn Avenue, Suite 3J
Burlington, Vermont 05401
(802) 488-6000

Offers community programs for the severely disabled mentally ill including treatment and rehabilitation services. Also gives assistance as needed for daily living, housing, and employment.

Vermont Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program (VT-EDP) of the Vermont Center for Independent Living

11 East State St.
Montpelier, VT 05602
(800) 639-1522 (Voice/TTY)

The Vermont Equipment Distribution Program (VTEDP) is funded by the state of Vermont to help income-eligible Vermonters who have trouble using a telephone and need adaptive equipment.  VTEDP helps pay for TTY or other special equipment to use the phone to qualified applicants.

Vermont Telecommunications Relay Service

Vermont Relay Account Manager
200 Corporate Place, Suite 200
Rocky Hill CT 06067
860-986-7234 / 860-899-1097 (Videophone)

The Vermont Telecommunications Relay Service is a free service for all Vermonters, connecting deaf, hard-of hearing, deaf-blind and speech-disabled individuals with users of regular telephones. Whether calling on a standard telephone or a text telephone (TTY), a special phone with a typewriter-style keyboard, relay makes communication simple, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Healthcare and Rehabilitation Services

Crisis/Emergency 24-Hour Hotline: 800-622-4235

Health Care and Rehabilitation Services (HCRS ) is a major community mental health agency, providing comprehensive services for mental health and substance abuse issues to community members across Windsor and Windham counties. They offer five major service programs: Adult Outpatient, Children’s Division, Community Rehabilitation and Treatment (CRT), Developmental Services (DS), and Windham/Windsor Recovery Assistance Program (WRAP). There are five offices located within the state:

Springfield Office
390 River Street
Springfield, VT 05156
(802) 886-4500

Brattleboro Office
51 Fairview Street
Brattleboro, VT 05301
(802) 254-6028

Bellows Falls Office
1 Hospital Court, Suite 410
Bellows Falls, VT 05101
(802) 463-3947

Windsor Office
14 River Street
Windsor, VT 05089
(802) 674-2539

Hartford Office
49 School Street
Hartford, VT 05047
(802) 295-3031

Deaf Independence Program of the Vermont Center for Independent Living

11 East State Street
Montpelier,Vermont 05602
(800) 639-1522 (voice / TTY)

The Deaf Independence Program serves as an important resource for all deaf and hard-of –hearing people in Vermont by helping them reach personal and professional goals in education, employment, communication, recreation, legal issues, finance, recreation, housing and others.

Vermont Communication Support Project

(888) 686-8277

Assistance with the court/legal process for people with disabilities that interfere with their ability to communicate effectively.

Human Rights Commission

14-16 Baldwin Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05633
(802) 828-1625 / 800-416-2010 (Toll Free)

The Vermont Human Rights Commission enforces civil rights laws that protect people from discrimination in housing, state government employment, and in places of public accommodation such as restaurants, stores, and schools. The Commission investigates discrimination claims, helps parties resolve disputes, and takes legal action in the courts when necessary. In addition, the Commission conducts workshops on civil rights issues and provides information and referral services. Finally, the Commission furnishes research and testimony about the potential impact of civil rights bills under consideration by the state Legislature.

Vermont Department of Public Safety, Division of Fire Safety

1311 US Route 302-Berlin Suite 600
Barre,VT 05641-2351
(802) 479-7561 / (800) 640-2106

The Division of Fire Safety administers fire, electrical, building and the life safety codes as well as handicapped accessibility requirements in public buildings. They address accessibility violations in the state.

TherapeuticTheraputic Riding Programs / Horse Assisted Therapy

Champlain Adaptive Mounted Program

57 East Shore Road
South Hero, VT 05486
(802) 372-4087

CHAMP is a non-profit, volunteer driven, PATH International Premier Accredited Therapeutic Riding Center providing year round horse-assisted activities and therapy with dignity and respect for all.  CHAMP provides horse-assisted programs to meet the needs of children and adults with physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral challenges. CHAMP works in partnership with other organizations to develop specialized programs.

High Horses Therapeutic Riding Program

PO Box 278
Sharon VT, 05065
(802) 763-3280

High Horses Therapeutic Riding Program has been serving residents of the Upper Valley region of New Hampshire and Vermont since 1993.  Their trained and professional staff, volunteers, and horses work as a team to provide individualized lessons addressing the physical, emotional, social and cognitive challenges of seniors, veterans, teens, adults and children with varying abilities. Each rider’s unique strengths and needs are carefully considered.

Reinbow Riding Center

P.O. Box 395
Cuttingsville, VT 05738
(802) 492-2226

Reinbow Riding Center is a therapeutic riding facility located in Shrewsbury, Vermont. PATH (Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship) certified instructors, along with the assistance of many volunteers, provide therapeutic horseback riding lessons for children and adults with cognitive, physical and behavioral challenges.

Reining Hope AEAAT, LLC

574 Sunset Drive
Morgan, VT 05853
(802) 895-9166

Reining Hope offers year-round equine assisted activities for riders with and without special needs through therapeutic riding and horsemanship programs, as well as equine related clinics and workshops. It is their belief there are no“dis-abilities” – persons with special needs each have their own“extra-ordinary” abilities! Equines have been proven, as with other animals, to be strong motivators in human development and self-awareness.

Rhythm of the Rein

386 US Route 2
Marshfield, VT 05658
(802) 426-3781

Providing therapeutic riding activities and therapies for the special needs community of Central Vermont and Northeast Kingdom.

Southern Vermont Therapeutic Riding Center

3 Cross Country Circle
Wilmington, VT 05363
(802) 221-4409

SOVTRC offers therapeutic riding, horsemanship, and vocational education programs for children and adults with physical, cognitive, or emotional challenges.

Vermont Horse-Assisted Therapy

307 Culver Hill Road,
Middlesex, Vermont, 05602
(802) 223-4828

VHAT provides safe, effective and fun therapeutic riding experiences to children and adults with physical, neurological, cognitive, emotional, or economic challenges. They also offer the only group program of its kind in Vermont for children on the autism spectrum.  Financial assistance is available.

National Advocacy/Legal Assistance Resources

The Access Board

1331 F Street, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20004-1111
(202) 272-0080 / (800) 872-2253
(202) 272-0082 / (800) 993-2822 (TTY)

The Access Board is an independent Federal agency devoted to accessibility for people with disabilities. It operates with about 30 staff and a governing board of representatives from Federal departments and public members appointed by the President. Key responsibilities of the Board include developing and maintaining accessibility requirements for the built environment, transit vehicles, telecommunications equipment, and for electronic and information technology, providing technical assistance and training on these guidelines and standards, and enforcing accessibility standards for federally funded facilities.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

1801 L Street NW
Washington, DC 20501

To obtain information regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements affecting employment, contact the EEOC.

Federal Communications Commission

1919 M St. NW
Washington, DC 20554
(888) 225-5322 / (888) 835-5322 (TTY) / (844) 432-2275 (ASL Videophone)

To obtain information regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements affecting telecommunications, contact the FCC.

Office for Civil Rights
Department of Health and Human Services

Region 1
Room 1875, John F. Kennedy
Federal Building
Boston, Massachusetts 02203
(800) 368-1019 / (800) 537-7697 (TDD)

Information and assistance are available from the Office for Civil Rights, which enforces laws that prohibit discrimination in programs receiving funds from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, such as hospitals and nursing homes.

Department of Transportation

400 Seventh Street SW
Washington, DC 20590
(202) 366-4000
(800) 877-8339 (TDD)

For specific information regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it affects transportation, contact the DOT.

Civil Rights Division of the Office on the Americans with Disabilities Act

U.S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 66118
Washington, DC 20035-6118
(800) 154-0301 / (800) 514-0383 (TTY)

The Americans with Disabilities Act Information Line.